Each letter to the churches contains a promise. I’ve been reflecting on them in the last couple of letters, but the one to Laodicea really tops them all: to share the throne of Jesus as Jesus shares the throne of the Father. Wow, I’m not even sure I can imagine that. So, here are the seven promises:
1. I will give to anyone who conquers the right to eat from [the tree of life] (2:7).
2. I will give you the crown of life (2:10)
3. I will give secret manna, and a white stone, with a new name…(2:17)
4. I will give authority over the nations, to rule them with a rod of iron, as when clay pots get smashed (2:26-27).
5. I will acknowledge their name in the presence of my father and in the presence of his angels (3:5).
6. I will make them a pillar in the temple of my God (3:12).
7. I will sit them beside me on my throne (3:21).
When you line these all up, this is rather remarkable. Scratch that, this is freakin’ unbelievable! This is a new identity, immortality, glory, power, and honor. These are all the things we little people strive for in our broken little ways on Earth. In fact, they are waiting for us in abundance in the life to come by the power and grace of God, regardless of our power and prestige in this life. Now that’s good news!